Retrospect: VH1 Hip Hop Honors

"Everything you do, do for the logo"-Lyor Cohen

This was a helluva week for me both business and personal. A lot of things got put in perspective and I learned a lot about myself and some of the people who I know. Notice I didnt say include in my inner circle....and that's for a reason, but it's another story

My right hand Stasia and I got a chance to attend the taping of the VH1 Hop Hop Honors which was a Def Jam tribute this year. (BIG shoutouts to AMC.). Off top, we were proud as it was held at the BAM right there in downtown Brooklyn. It was such surreal experience, because growing up, we always watched stuff like that on TV and then BOOM, we're sitting a few rows away from Lyor Cohen, Russell Simmons, Rick Rubin and Kevin Liles. As expected, I got a few negative comments, but to me, it's bigger than bragging rights and hobnobbing with industry folks.

I was a HUGE Def Jam head growing up. It was THE hip-hop label from Red, Meth, LL, Jay, Ja, X. I am a HUGE hip hop fan.I actually interned there at Def Jam for a few months and learned a lot on the business side of things. I'm of the opinion that if you want to be an artist or producer, you should have at least one semester's (3 months or so) worth of experience at a label so you know what to expect or have someone in your corner who's trustworthy and have been at a label.It'll be a rude awakening (if you havent been in the business) but we're all adults and God wont give you something you can't handle.

It was just crazy to see footage of Rick and Russell sitting Indian style on chairs talking about how they started Def Jam and then you got Lyor talking about the creation of the logo and how important it was to be a movement and bring people a new brand of music. Rick and Russ were hilarious in the footage as well as Lyor who sent shots to Bad Boy and Death Row, as you will see......

It put a lot in its place for me personally. I'm never really one to feel down when it comes to business because there's always an "in" if you look hard enough AND if you know the right people; not only that, but things always pop up anyway. It was more like a jolt of energy that's making us want to work harder and do what we gotta do to make an impact. This shit isn't a job. It's a way of life and we treat it as such. When you go to "work", that's all it is...it's a paycheck and you leave work at your "job". When it's a passion and a lifestyle you're active in, you will give your best shot time after time and that in turn will make your work stand out amongst others. Your mind is constantly thinking of new shit to execute....

Sure you got the industry events where you get to mingle and network. (Keep in mind, it's NOT about networks, it's about relationships). You drink with the open bars provided by liquor companies half the people in there dont even care about getting contacts from for sponsorships of future events. You got your circle in there who you see regularly at events and you shake hands, make jokes and talk shit. Then, you got your groupies and eye candy. I dont knock it. Everyone serves their purpose. As long as no one's in denial, it's all good. The free food never hurts either as well as gift bags....

But in the long run, I really only could care about going to an event with a purpose in mind.

Dont get me wrong. I like meeting new people and attending events. I like free food. Liquor sabbatical is over, so that's always a plus. And dont get me started on attractive young women. I'm 23 and I'm single, so throw me a bone here. :-X

But to me it's like "Fuck all of this superficial shit". I dont need it. I've never owned a chain or studs. I'd wear sweatpants and Nikes for life if I could. I always worked for whatever I had, and I held multiple jobs and internships throughout college...sometimes a job/internship at the same time. I'm from Flatbush, Brooklyn...a 23 year old product of a broken home...made a ton of mistakes and done a lotta dumb shit...But when it comes down to the wire, I dont need a lot to get busy. Some would definitely call me an overachiever and that's their opinion. Cool. Some people also call me an asshole (I'm too familiar with that one), which is even better. I just like that I get a reaction from people. Its better than not being remembered.

25 years. Lord willing, I cant wait to see myself at 48. Stas and I often joke about it...Even now, we laugh at some of the stuff we've been through in the year+ that we have under our belt and how we've grown both on a personal and business level.

It's about mastery of circumstance. You can only control what your reaction to a situation is. Take it from me.

I'm inspired. Let's make history. See ya'll at the top.

2 comments:

Lyrik Marie said...

" dont get me started on attractive young women. I'm 23 and I'm single, so throw me a bone here "

"Fuck all of this superficial shit"

" I'm from Flatbush, Brooklyn...a 23 year old product of a broken home...made a ton of mistakes and done a lotta dumb shit "


Once again - good post !

100K said...

Thanks.