A Look at "Before I Self Destruct"

Re: 50 Cent's "Before I Self Destruct" leaking to the internets...I know my man DM over there @ G-Unit is PISSED. I feel bad for the guy. But in this day and age, leaks are inevitable.

Enter "Before I Self Destruct". Rumor is that it's the last studio album that 50 owes Interscope. If so, he makes a helluva point. After the "War Angel" LP that came out a while back, I sorta had a feeling Fif would be on the grizzly.

For what it's worth, I liked his first two albums (The Massacre was mad underappreciated), butI was so-so on "Curtis" . I recognize the man's talents and his impact on the game. Dude is entertaining as hell (Pimpin' Curly series) , has a classic under his belt ("Get Rich Or Die Tryin") and has some serious bangers. But I gotta call it like it is. This album has been pushed back more than Steve Harvey's real hairline. The whole "beef" with Ross was hilarious...but the consensus was that Ross had 50 backtracking. Whatever the case, 50 definitely sends a message on this joint.Production ranges from Dr. Dre to Premier to Timbaland to Ty Fyffe. By now, I trust 50's ear for beats.

"The Invasion" sets the tone for the album perfectly. It's ominous. Grimy. The thing I like about Fif is that he's blatant, even if it is overbearing sometimes. He demostrates this on "So Disrespectful" and sends shots to his baby mother, The Game and Young Buck in the process. As usual, his ear for beats is ridiculous with bangers like the anthemic "Ok, You're Right" (I LOVE this joint) and "Gangster's Delight". Emimem tears his verse on "Psycho" a new asshole. Now...."Strong Enough"..I don't know what zone the man was in making that song, but it's THAT ridiculous.. That song is for anyone who misses "GRODT" 50. "Crime Wave" itself will make you want to wear all black and put on an ice grill.

Only really wack songs: The "gun as metaphor for a girlfriend" concept gets a turn on "Hold You Down". It's a tired concept IMO. "Do You Think About Me" serves as a good commercial single but it sounds like a "Curtis" leftover. This album doesnt have a DEFINITE club banger like "In Da Club"...but if you take the direction Curtis went in, it is what it is. "Ok, You're Right" might have potential though....

"Baby By Me" has been getting play in clubs. I can also see "Get It Hot" as another club single. Neither are "In The Club" or "Disco Inferno".

The album is a return to "GRODT" 50. Point blank. Between this album and Rae's joint, I've had a good dosage of grimy rap for the past few weeks. I give it a 4/5

0 comments: