Rest in Power to El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

"It is time for martyrs now, and If I am to be one, it will be for the cause of brotherhood. That is the only thing that can save this country."

Rest in Power Brother Malcolm. Arrived on May 19, 1925 and went back to the essence on February 21, 1965. Murdered by his own people, martyred for speaking the truth. Revolutionized American race relations by attempting to increase political and social awareness amongst Black Americans. Became a Sunni Muslim after a Hajj to Mecca that opened his mind to believe that Islam is the key that could solve racial problems. From Malcolm Little to Detroit Red to El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz.

My first time reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X was in college for my freshman year English Class. The assignment was for a few chapters out of the book, but my interest was so piqued that I ended up buying the whole book. Having read it numerous times over and over, I will definitely say that Malcolm stood out to me as a man of principle who did not believe in cutting corners or shy away from doing what he believe was his purpose, even to the point of being demonized in the media and death

He paid the ultimate price for his beliefs. One thing that stood out to me was that Malcolm repeatedly expressed that he KNEW he was going to die young. It always sort of bothered me every time I read the book. Even when I watch X, I can't watch the movie past the part where Malcolm is about to enter the Audobon and he briefly chats with an old woman who wishes him well. Shot 16 times by assassins as he spoke during a meeting for the Organization of Afro-American Unity. His own people.

Rest in power El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz Your efforts have not been in in vain. We still have a long way to go, but you provided a brilliant example to follow. You talked the talk and walked the walk. You eloquently expressed your beliefs and stood by what you believed in. Thank you for being a role model for young brothers such as myself. Even though I don't subscribe to any particular religion, I see the way you lived your life with principle and conviction. Thank you for everything you have done for us.

2 comments:

captNaj said...

damn I was gonna do a Malcolm post later this week, but now that's not necessary...good read man...

100K said...

No doubt.