"It"

I had an interesting convo with my man Poe Picasso last night. I usually have this convo with people on the business side of things but it was cool to hear it from an artist. We were talking about how small the world is and that it's like all of us are doing our thing and are only separated by one or two degrees. I was just telling son that majors aint the way to go right now for urban artists. The convo then turned into how oversaturated the game is with trash rappers and how only a handful of rappers have "it".

I always talk about wanting to find artists who have "it". Ya'll know what I'm talking about. It's an unspoken feeling. It's just you listen to an artist and you're like "WOW!!!". All the greats have it. It's usually something you cant put your finger on. Something different and not generic. If you look @ basketball, MJ, Bron and Kobe have "it"

In times like this, an artist just comes along and fills the void perfectly. I personally feel that post BP3, there will be a huge void in hip hop after Jay leaves. Think back to the history.
  • LL: Someone young people could relate to, namely the female gender
  • Wu Tang: Grimy alternative to the ATCQ type hip hop .
  • Nas: Rakim was the last pure lyricist of that caliber
  • B.I.G.: No artist with that amount of raw talent (the man wrote songs like "Story To Tell, Niggas Bleed, Kick In The Door and Victory...IN HIS HEAD) ,charisma, and verbal skills all rolled into one
  • Jay-z: Took B.I.G.'s spot after his death and reigned for quite a while. The first (near) billionaire rapper
  • DMX: A voice to all the true grimy, shiesty robbing street cats
  • Eminem: raw demented lyricism.
It's coincidental but I'm listening to "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" right now (on a Sunday morning nonetheless). I remember the way X took the game by storm. This is when Def Jam was still running things. From "4,3,2,1" to "Money, Power, Respect" to "Murdergram", you just knew this cat was gonna be a problem. "It"

The most recent example would be Drake. I didnt even know it was Jimmy from Degrassi. when I saw the cover to "Comeback Season", my initial reaction was like "LOL @ this kid". I heard the mixtape and I was like "WOW". Understandably there's a bidding war and rightfully so. "It"

Who's next?

0 comments: