Prenups Dont = Throwing In The Towel,It Just Means..

So....another one bites the dust....

Nas reportedly has been ordered by the court to pay Kelis about $44K in spousal/child support and her $45K in legal fees.There were rumors he cheated (which caused the divorce) and there were also rumors of Kelis telling a friend (in few words) that she'd clean him out.
  • Kelis is a recording artist. Recording artists make most of the their revenue from tours
  • I've seen numerous reports of her basically saying that she was on her last leg and would have to sell her jewelry. (-__-)
  • Nas didnt sign a prenup which is the dumbest move ever. Celeb or not.
  • He didnt hire 50 Cent's lawyer to rep him in court.
For those who dont know by now what a prenup is, take a look here.

I tend not to care about celebrity affairs, but whenever I see something like this go down, it gets to me (especially as a brotha with ambitions who's dealt with sheisty females). To me, the legal system is already geared towards women as is and in a lot of these cases, the defendant is paying for another person's lifestyle and not their actual kid. I've seen reports that 30K will go to Kelis for spousal support and 9K will go to Knight Jones needs'. If that's not some bullshit, I dunno what is. She's an able bodied woman, a recording artist at that. Gimme a fuckin' break here. This is ridiculous.

I totally agree with Red/Meth

This has been an issue of debate for a while now. Necole Bitchie wonders if this is why men are scared to marry.

You goddamn right!

I will not marry my wife without a prenup. In fact, I cant say I'd find it hard to leave her if she wouldnt. Shoutouts to Stephen Jackson on that one. It's not a matter of rich/poor. It's a matter of being smart and protecting your assets. I've talked to numerous females about this and for the most part, they felt like a prenup signifies lack of faith in a marriage and a foreshadowing of a breakup. Idealism at its finest. The divorce rate is 50% (if not more). I dont believe in letting other people's relationships dictate mine at all, but that says volumes. We also gotta face facts that marriage is a business, as much as we hate to admit it. Women have to understand that when men are hesitant to marry them, it may not really believe that we dont love them....but that we know that should anything go wrong (I'll always keep it in the back of my mind that things can go wrong, not that I want them to) and we want things to be as smooth as possible should anything happen. It aint like dating where we can just up and leave. I've seen it in my family. It gets UGLY.

In a lotta these cases, I really think that the woman feels jilted and figures she can hit a man where all of his worth comes from (meaning his wallet). American society dictates that men's worth is based on how much they gross a year (not his character for all you nice guys out there). The court profits a shitload off of this because it's a multibillion dollar industry.

If you two get married and build an empire together, you both deserve your piece according to what you contributed. Fair and square. However, if a dude is working hard and has his cake before he meets and marries someone, what the fuck part of the game is it that she is entitled to that money that was made BEFORE she came along? Their union makes them one, but their separation makes them both single again so how is that fair?

A prenup to me just means you want insurance. Sure, she might be offended but it's better to be safe and sorry. Nowadays, you cant trust anyone that much. Steve McNair AND Arturo Gatti (RIP) BOTH got bodied by women they were involved with within days of each other. These stakes are higher nowadays.

    2 comments:

    tris. said...

    i told my mother when i was 17 that if and when i ever decided to get married, a pre-nup is the first order of business.
    and everytime the subject of marriage comes up with a boyfriend or potential, i tell em the same thing.
    i'm a realist first. an optimist second. so you are absolutely right that it is insurance. necessary insurance.
    i know what i will accomplish in my lifetime and i'll be DAMNED if someone will undeservingly reap more benefits than absolutely necessary.
    nor am i looking for a hand out from my future husband or any one else for that matter.

    on the other hand. i heart kelis as an artist and as a personality. i can't vouch for her because i don't know her. but i do think society is a little bit too quick to jump the gun, making assessments based on rumors and hearsay. we as regular folk NEVER know the full story. but yeah...

    great post.

    100K said...

    Thanks!