Top 5 Most Cinematic Hip Hop Songs

I present to you all my list of top 5 most cinematic songs in no order. Of course, this is all opinion so feel free to disagree. They were rated in terms of delivery, cohesiveness and ability to make me visualize the various scenarios....

"Mona Lisa"-Slick Rick

Self explanatory. Rick's delivery is suave and masterful and shows us how he approaches an attractive young lady. This is probably the BEST storytelling song ever......

"I Gave You Power"-Nas.

DJ Premier laces the instrumental masterfully allowing Nas to execute his concept of rapping from the POV of a gun. The tone of the instrumental is dim so you know it's gonna lead to an interesting story.....The third verse is bananas with lines like "My creation was for Blacks to kill Blacks/Its gats like me that accidentally go off, making niggas memories/But this time it's done intentionally".....

"I Got A Story To Tell"-The Notorious B.I.G.

Here, B.I.G recalls an sexual encounter with a woman that leads to him getting some cash from "one of them 6'5 niggas". Two words: "I'm gone!!" Cinema!!!

"All That I Got Is You"-Ghostface Killah

A real tearjerker...This song is Ghost at his most vulnerable as he recounts "roaches in the cereal box","15 of us in a three bedroom apartment" and other memories of his tough upbringing. Mary J. does her things on the chorus....Very poignant. This is how you paint a picture...

"Brenda's Got A Baby"-Tupac Shakur

The ever socially conscious Tupac gives us his account of teen pregnancy and how it affects our community. This is extremely poignant and touching. Pac is better with words than I give him credit for....and this is an exceptional "story telling" track (based on an all too familiar scenario)....

2 comments:

lalaliybean said...

shoulda been top 6, including immortal technique - dance with the devil

100K said...

i'll look into it